Monday 14th May, 2012
Tracking Changes and Etherpad
- Used with Microsoft Word
- Found on the Toolbar (the placement of this button may vary depending on the age of Microsoft Word version used on your computer.)
1) Children write their story as usual (simply getting their ideas down).
2) They then need to click on 'Tracking Changes' to monitor any changes made to their writing from this point onwards. These changes will now be displayed in red.
3) They could print this edited version of their work to show their working. Name the file saved carefully.
4) They could then click on 'Final' which will take away the red alterations and leave their piece of writing as a final copy.
5) They could then print this version as their published work. Name the file saved carefully.
- Is a collaborative way to write.
- Is public, so developing protocols is very important.
1) Create a new pad by following the above URL.
2) Determine how many computers/writers you wish to participate in this collaborative writing activity. (Push 'Enter' after the last number on the pad to increase the number of participants on this 'Pad.)
3) Provide each computer/writer with a designated number.
4) Make the URL of this created Pad available for writers to join.
5) Writers open this URL and write beside their designated number. Each number has its own colour so that you can identify the writers. Each writer can also add to, edit and work on another writers work, but these alterations will show up in that new writer's colour. People can also use the chat option. DO NOT forget though that this chat is public!!!
***Don't forget that the ICT Suite is available in the mornings Mon-Thurs if you would like to take your class in to use one of these writing ideas.
Have fun :)